Spanish 1 and 2
December 13 Pre Quiz here
- Go to Christmas Wish List and Amazon Spain to make a wish list in Spanish then be ready to say aloud for the class.
- Go to Spanish Christmas Songs to find the lyrics for the Christmas songs in Spanish to sing with the class.
- Go to Navidad Radio Latina to listen to some Spanish Christmas songs live then write down the words in Spanish you hear and understand
- Go to Tarjeta de Navidad to see a list of words and phrases to make a Christmas card in Spanish.
- Go to Spanish Christmas Stories yo choose a story to read a passage aloud for a grade. Watch your vowels.
- Christmas Cookies: Do a search for Christmas cookies in Spanish then write a list of ingredients in Spanish. Click on Bilingual Ingredients to see a list of ingredients in Spanish
- Go to Spanish Christmas Terms to see cultural notes then write in your journal about a Spanish Christmas. Supplemental: For a Nativity skit in Spanish go to Prima Navidad and Ideas for Spanish Christmas Skits
- Marzipán: Go to Origins of Marzipán to write a summary of the sweet Marzipán. What city in Spain does Marzipán come from? What about Toledo and Leonardo da Vinci? Why did the nuns make Marzipán during the Arab rule? What are the main ingredients? Go to Receta to find an easy traditional marzipan recipe.
- Turrón: Go to Romantic Turrón Story and Turrón Traditional Sweet to learn about the dessert from Spain then write notes and anything interesting you can find to your culture book. See Receta 1 and Receta 2 to watch the videos on how to prepare Turrón. Answer questions like when did the idea of Turrón come to Spain? What are the main ingredients of Turrón? Who were the Moors and why were they in Spain? For how long? What is the story of the snow and planting almond trees?
- Polvorones: What are polvorones? What does polvo mean? Do a search to find a recipe of polvorones to share with the class. Go to the links to see how to make polvorones: student presentation jam filled polvorones basic recipe Canal Cocina Receta
- Tronco de Navidad: What is it? Go to Receta to see how to make a tronco de navidad then write the ingredients and directions in English.
- Dec 6 – Saint Nicholas day. Go to the links below to learn more about this holiday celebrated in many parts of the world Saint Nicholas Saint Nicholas of Myra Saint Nicholas and your Shoes
- Santa Claus: How many names? Go to Santa Names to see the different names for Santa Claus in the Spanish speaking world.
14. Poinsettia: Go to What is in a Name to learn about the Poinsettia in Mexico, Guatemala, Chile, Peru, Spain and Mexico.
15. Dec 16 – 24 Las posadas. Go to the following sites to answer these questions on your own paper. Click here to learn about las posadas then add notes and images to your culture book
What is under the Christmas tree in Mexico? What is placed under the tree at midnight? What do some house holds fix for dinner on :Christmas Eve? What do the families do each year on this night in Mexico? See Christmas Eve in Mexico for more information.
16. Dec 21 – Las hogueras. Go to Las Hogueras Fire Jumping to answer the following questions on your own paper. What does it mean ‘las hogueras’? When does it take place? What do the people do during this time and why?
17. Dec 22 – El gordo. Go to the following links to learn about El gordo then write a summary telling about the annual event.
Where is El Gordo played? How many people can play? What town did all but one residents win? How many hours does the game take place? What do the people do during the drawings?
18. Dec 24 Nochebuena. Misa del Gallo? What about the rooster?
19. Dec 25 Día de navidad. Papá Noel and the Reyes Magos. Who brings gifts and when? January 6? What do the people of Spain eat? Truffles in the turkey?
20. Dec 25 – Jan 5 Twelve days of Christmas. Go to 12 Days of Christmas to see traditions of countries around the world then write a summary of what you find. When does it begin and when does it end? What celebration starts the following day? What takes place on the 12th night and what is the cake eaten? How do people celebrate? What activities take place? How does this relate to Saint Nicholas Day and December 6?
Go to Biscochos to watch the video on how to prepare then write down the directions and ingredients in English
21. Dec 28 Día de los inocentes. April fools day? Go to Día de los Inocentes to answer these questions on your own paper. What is Día de los Inocentes? When is it? Why does Spain celebrate Día de los Inocentes? What do the children do on this day?
22. Dec 31 Nochevieja. What do you eat at midnight on the 12 strikes of the clock?
23. Jan 6 – Go to the Video to learn about the three kings cake then do a search to see what you can find about Día de los reyes. Gifts for Christmas? January 6? What is in the bread and what is inside? What is la cabalgata? Do a web search to see what you can find about Roca de reyes then write a summary on your own paper.
Click on the word search below to play the interactive game and go to